Skip to main content

Work Permits

Regular Work Permit

***Except in limited circumstances defined in law and summarized in the Child Labor Law Booklet, all minors under 18 years of age employed in the state of California must have a permit to work.

Steps for obtaining a regular Work Permit

  1. Find a job.
  2. Download the "Statement of Intent to Employ Minor and Request for Work Permit" form.
  3. Fill out the Minor's and School Information sections on the form. Please make sure it is legible and accurate with your full legal name (not a nickname). Sign the student section.
  4. Have your parent/legal guardian complete the parent section and sign and date the form. 
  5. Have your employer complete and sign their section of the form. 
  6. DURING SUMMER ONLY--Email the completed work permit request to
  7. During the school year: Submit the completed form (including all 3 signatures) to Mrs. Khachatryan in the CV Counseling Office (or email it to for processing.
  8. Mrs. Khachatryan will print the final approved work permit. 
  9. Please allow up to 5 school days for processing.

During summer months, the work permit is obtained from the GUSD College & Career Division. Please email for assistance during the summer.

Entertainment Work Permit

***Minors employed in the entertainment industry must also have a permit to work.

Steps for obtaining an Entertainment Work Permit

  1. Be offered a job in the entertainment industry.
  2. Complete the Requirements and Registration with the Entertainment Industry.
  3. Email your completed application or renewal application to your CVHS counselor for processing.
  4. Your counselor will return the final approved entertainment work permit to you via email. 
  5. Please allow up to 5 school days for processing.

 ***More information regarding Work Permit laws and regulations is available at the CA Department of Industrial Relations website.